Hydrotherapy is an exercise in water that has been heated to 33–35° Celsius and is used to help people regain physical function and strength. It has also shown to have positive psychological, physiological and social benefits. The water is set at a steady temperature to aid with:
The warmth in the water reduces gravitational force, increases resistance and enhances hydrostatic pressure to aid in with the recovery and management of a wide range of conditions. Patients do not need to be able to swim in order to participate in hydrotherapy or aquatic physiotherapy. The treatment can be used on its own or in conjunction with rehabilitation programs. An aquatic program is often a stepping stone for patients to progress onto the gym or any land-based exercise programs.
Every hydrotherapy patient must complete an application form on their first visit prior to entering the pool. Please see our staff on a weekday between the hours of 9:00am and 2:00pm for details. This organisation deals with all forms of medical problems and all information given on the hydrotherapy application forms is private and confidential. It will only be made available to our office staff, committee executives and physiotherapists/medical professionals.
Rules to Observe Before You Use Pool
1. It is a regulation that you must have an assessment letter from a physiotherapist or medical professional. This should state the following: “I have assessed is patient and provided exercises for said patient to perform in the pool.” Referrals that say, “thank you for seeing this patient,” cannot be accepted as we do not have trained medical staff onsite to assess you. Please also bring a copy of the exercises your medical professional has instructed you to perform in our hydrotherapy pool.
2. If you have been performing hydrotherapy under instruction from a physiotherapist or other hydrotherapy facility, you can attend our facility as long as you have a transfer letter. This is to be from the physiotherapist who advised you to undertake a hydrotherapy program within the last 12 months and wishes you to continue doing so at our pool.
3. If you have been, or are being treated, for a heart problem, we regret that you cannot use the pool unless we receive a letter from your doctor. This letter should state an acknowledgment of your medical condition, that he/she is aware that our therapy pool temperature is 33–35° Celsius, and that they consider you to be a suitable patient for hydrotherapy.
4. If you have any open wounds, you will not be permitted in the water unless the wound can be totally waterproofed. This is for your safety as well as other patients.
5. It is required that you have a quick (3 minute) shower directly before you enter the pool.
6. It is essential that you print your name in the pool users' logbook every time you attend the pool.
Private patients are responsible for paying the entry fee at Valentine Hydrotherapy Pools. There are 2 options:
1. $10.00 for a casual user, or
2. $23.00 for a quarterly membership (3-months), plus $6.50 (non-concession) or $5.50 (full concession) per visit.
Workers Compensation/Third Party Claims
Your insurance company or employer can be bulk billed. We will need notification from the insurance company or employer that they will accept liability for payment before you proceed. If litigation is involved, you will be required to pay your own fees. A receipt will be issued to you on payment of each visit.
For accounts, an initial fee of $31.00 is charged, then $12.50 for every subsequent visit. In the case of claims, a fee of $12.50 is charged per visit.
Department of Veteran's Affair Patients
Please be aware that DVA will only pay for hydrotherapy sessions when you are accompanied by your designated physiotherapist.
For those who are unable to drive or travel on public transport, we provide a bi-weekly pick-up and return bus service for a small fee (covering the areas from Cave Beach to Boolaroo). This service is not available for your initial visit. Please contact our centre
for details on pick-up availability.
Pool Opening Times
A timetable will be provided to you on your first. You can also view it on our Timetables
page. Please do not attend when the hydrotherapy pool is marked unavailable, as there are times where the pool is used for other purposes.